homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:01:27 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

The walnut husks almost never turn black on the tree. They fall off green and then turn black. The walnut must cure and dry out some before it can be easily ('easily' being a relative term here) shelled. One way is to put on old boots and stomp the walnuts to loosen them from the husks. Exposed to air they will turn black in a few hours. Put them somewhere they can dry for several days to several weeks before trying to shell them. Until they are fairly dry, you cannot allow them to freeze.

Ok, so just to make sure I do it right..
1. somehow, either with the car tire or boots, remove the husks from the walnut hull.
2. Dispose of husks or use them to make dye.
3. Allow nuts to dry for several weeks. (I intend to hang them in netting inside a outbuilding that gets pretty darn hot) No rodents will get them there.
4. Crack hulls to remove meat either by vise and or hammer.
5. Taste nut to make sure it is sweet with no tannins, not watery or astringent

Have I got it right?
Sorry, but as you can tell, I never actually done this. I've collected the nuts before, but gave them away.

Bev, trying to make the best of every asset on the farm

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan