homestead - Re: [Homestead] Butternuts

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Butternuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:30:49 -0400

Rob, looking at the ranges in my book, it looks like Butternut is found along the Appalachian chain running SW to NE, and there are two additional pockets of them, a small pocket between Charlottesville and Richmond(I had to compare it to good ol' Rand McNally) and another larger pocket north of Portsmouth/Norfolk and east of Richmond. I'm not sure where you are.
Down in NC, the same pattern is found-indigenous along the mountains, 4 pockets in the piedmont..roughly, Winston Salem, Charlotte, Greensboro, and Fayetteville.
I would think, under the right conditions, that you could probably grow them anywhere in VA, regardless of what these books say (Peterson Field Guide _Eastern Trees_ and National Audubon Society Nature Guide _Eastern Forests_

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
Does anyone know if Butternut will grow well in southern Virginia?
Rob Va

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan