homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 14:52:18 -0700

On Oct 14, 2008, at 2:42 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

In the almost an hour that I was out there, I have picked up over two
hundred pounds of walnuts. How many pounds of meat will that yield?

I have no idea. I have never picked them nor cracked them. Now that I am living on Social Security that may change.
only got the bottom branches-those that I could reach and shake, so I
only 'cleaned' about a quarter of the tree at best.

In my area people wait until they fall from the tree, often after a strong wind.

In California English walnut orchards they use a tractor and belt running on a cam pulley to shake them down. The older way was to knock them with a long, strong stick.