homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 05:30:36 -0700

On Feb 28, 2008, at 9:15 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

We wanted to live in/near Asheville NC. We may yet end up there. We love it
as much, if not more so than Floyd, but land prices there need an awful
economy to threaten to bring them back to earth.

I've not been to Asheville. Have read again and again how wonderful it is and how the wonderfulness has caused a massive invasion of newcomers who have driven up prices and traffic. Natives are mostly dismayed; newcomers now want to build a wall. This is a fairly common story. I always feel sorry when some new book lists the greatest places to live. People with more money than common sense flock there and substantially change the essence of the place.

North Carolina has many great qualities. During research for my last edition I found they had one big negative: a crime problem exacerbated by too few prisons and not enough state land on which to build more. They have no doubt done something positive by now.

NC is the destination of choice for those who have moved from the NE to Florida and then changed their minds after living in FL for a few years. They go back north but only part way. They are known as half- backs.

The first letter from readers on my web site is from a woman in North Carolina.