homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 20:53:25 -0500

Yes, I discovered this about Asheville. I was disappointed. I've visited there a lot and prices have certainly gone up astronomically. I was interested in Tryon, too, and checked around there.

My problem is that I am carrying a mortgage on this house that would shock the pants off you. I can't qualify for another mortgage while I am carrying this house. I can't SELL this house while
we are in it. We are just not show room clean people. So I want to pay cash for something and I'm limited by that amount. I'd like to stay within a day's drive of the Eastern Carolina coast,
my Da and his wife are retiring there this autumn.

I am embarrassed to admit this but until very recently, when I started using Google Earth to crawl up and down the eastern mountain chains, cross referencing towns against a few of my "tests"***
I had NO idea Kentucky was actually WEST of me. For some reason I thought it was down there near Are-Can-sus on the map. Near where you get good Cajun food and there are swamps and stuff.
You know those New Yorker cartoons that show NYC in detail, and then the Hudson, and then NOTHING until Los Angeles? Just a big empty spot? Well apparently in my head the world actually kind
of stopped at the Blue Ridge.

Gene, by the way, I wasn't thinking about Ireland when I was referring to us as "furriners". It was more the Yankee in the South thing.

Also, my husband is not a jealous guy. The compass in my heart is permanently fixed on him and he knows it. If I flutter around dispensing hugs and kisses at random, he's all good.
Besides, he's the original absent minded professor. Like the Flubber guy. All you'd have to do is ask him to fix something and he'd stop dead for at least enough time to get you a good head start.

I swear when I was clicking around on your site I found an e-book in progress, it looked like notes, actually, an outline. Maybe I was hittting outside links without realizing it.

***food co-ops, CSAs, farmer's markets, climate & water info, hospitals, independent coffee/book/hardware stores, live music, UU churches or something of a similar, open-minded stripe.
Counties that incur the wrath of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster are probably best avoided. A long term possibility of the land immediately surrounding me staying undeveloped.
(For instance I love properties that back up to park land.) I would not mind my kids being able to capitalize on my investment, but I'd rather they are able to stay and choose to keep on if they want to.