homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:52:55 -0700

On Feb 28, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

I have two friends (separate individuals not living together) who are not
good at gardening and thus have given it up for things they are good at
doing and a better use of their time. They both say they are "Grower
Supporters."

And they are needed by those who grow for a living.

I've often mused on the tension, the dichotomy with homesteading and community. If everyone is self-reliant and largely self-sufficient, then we need each other less. Of course there are still those crafts and skills that most of us are not good at or even much interested in doing.

Anyone know of a study or a book that explores the effect on community that self-reliance creates?