homestead - Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:12:38 -0500

> NC is the destination of choice for those who have moved from the NE
> to Florida and then changed their minds after living in FL for a few
> years. They go back north but only part way. They are known as half-
> backs.

And this new influx is probably one of the biggest challenges to
anyone from the "outside" that wants to move to the mid or upper
south. I have an interesting perspective on this having seen these
peoples "invasion" of Florida and now to be following the "invasion"
of the upper south.

>From a local perspective both in Florida and Virginia, locals deal
with high land prices and these folks move in calling the high prices
a deal and then cause the prices to rise more.

Culturally, it causes century and a half old wounds to rise to the
surface, and it's not helped much that many people moving in from the
outside actively want to change things to be like they were "back
home".

My one piece of advice to someone moving to a new area is to
understand that you are the outsider and will need to conform to local
standards in many situations. If you don't want to do that, you'll
probably be ostracized by the community that you move to. On the other
hand, people that move in and are open to new people and try to
confirm to the local community have a better experience.

Now, in my area, I find religion to be something of an exception to
this rule. There are a wide range of churches here with a wide range
of beliefs. There are also people that don't participate. If I had
"alternative" beliefs, I'd keep them to myself.

Rob - Va