homestead - Re: [Homestead] Scythes

  • From: tom <tom AT honeychrome.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Scythes
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:54:00 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 7:35 PM, tom <tom AT honeychrome.com> wrote:
For a practical tool avoid an old, antique American scythe- its a
different animal from a European scythe.

I have one of those, because I inherited it.

Even the old antiques did work well when they were sharp and in the
hands of a skilled user. One of my great aunts used to mow quarter
mile lane with scythe, and it looked absolutely easy. Of course, I had
to try it, but I just couldn't get the hang of -- not that I tried
really hard, and my aunt wasn't much of a teacher.

Marie

There is a classic Wendell Berry essay called The Good Scythe. Thought maybe I could find it somewhere on the net, but no luck. Well worth finding and reading (as is just about everything Wendell Berry has written).