homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:05:49 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:37 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2008, at 5:32 PM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > Community is one of the important factors for us in relocating and
> > it's something that's impossible to nail down over the Net.
>
> The biggest mistake made by those buying rural homes is landing in a
> community where they just don't fit.

I think it's even impossible to nail down until you've lived there a while.
I say rent for a while and see if you really, truly like it a few years out.
In small, rural communities you often know everybody's business--and they
yours inside of 6 or 7 years. The downside to that rule might be that land
prices could double or triple during that period of time (as happened here,
after we bought 8 years ago).

Though w/ the economy the way it is, perhaps the days of land doubling &
tripling so quickly are behind us for a while. Maybe not. There's only so
much available land.

We love where we live but we go through occasional phases lasting a day or
two to a few weeks where it can feel very small, very insular. That we need
to step away for a short while then come back to appreciate the clean air,
clean water (all water originates in our county to go elsewhere), and a
place where you generally leave your car and house unlocked 24/7.

Anyone else felt like that in their small community or do you just love it
all the time?
Just wondering if this is a natural thing or just us. ;)

Lisa