homestead - [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community? Was: The Truth About Organic Gardening

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Do You Love Your Community? Was: The Truth About Organic Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:03:05 -0500

Lisa, this is on my mind a lot, I hope you don't mind if we split this off into another thread. You and Gene both express
something I am keenly aware of at this point.

We have made several house hunting trips up north (Mass, VT, NH) over the last view months and I have realized something. We are New Englanders who can't live in the cold. I was miserable every dreary grey day.

But as much as I know how beautiful NC and KY and TN are, and that there are good deals to be had there, I am afraid that despite
our twenty years in Virginia, we'll put a foot badly wrong. I have found it an uphill struggle to be liberal in a very red state, sometimes.

Differences can be so huge over such simple things. I knew I was annoying the pants of my proper fancy pants, Boston-bred step daughter because I could not resist offering her food/or at least three times. It's the magic number for me.
My Gran'd've skinned me if I didn't offer, she'd say it would make us look badly off if we didn't have enough to share. It's been drummed into me. "Tea? Cookies? A bit of cake?" To her, the fact I could not resist meant I wasn't listening to her.
It took a little bit of discussion for us to figure out what we each were doing, and then it was fine, but my neighbours may not be as committed to helping me figure it out as I might need. ; )

So here's what I want...the cultural equivalent to Brattleboro, Vt, or Ithaca, NY, in NC, Tenn, Kentucky or WV. IF it's not green and rolling I will dry up and die.

Anybody know one?

Cheers,

Moon