homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:38:54 -0500

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:36 PM, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Rob Walton wote:
> > It's like buying organic apples from Chile. By the time they are
> > shipped in, they may be better for me, but are they better for the
> > earth?
>
> Yes. We are finally beginning to consider the energy costs of
> transporting foodstuffs from all over the world to our kitchens. I
> very much like the locavores.

Grow your own garden and food as best you can and are able.
Outside of that:

Support local organic farmers, first.
Support local low-spray, low-pesticide, non-GMO, non-Bovine Growth hormone,
non-hormones period, not certified organic but natural farmers, second.
Support local, third.
Support organic 'from away' last.

This is how I buy 90% of our food. The rest comes from the local
supermarket. Most of it that is organic 'from away' is bought bulk through a
food co-op group so we save significantly over regular prices.

I have two friends (separate individuals not living together) who are not
good at gardening and thus have given it up for things they are good at
doing and a better use of their time. They both say they are "Grower
Supporters."

Lisa