homestead - [Homestead] Scythes and goats

  • From: Jerry B <liberty AT kaballero.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Scythes and goats
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:10:42 -0500

Great post on scything, Susan. I have had a couple goats for almost a year now, and until the winter, they did fine with the brush and brambles on our four acres . They probably would have made it through without hay, but by spring, munching on the dried weeds and leafless branches they may not have been in the best of condition. They do now sit down occasionally and munch on green grass. I give them a little 'sweet goat' grains every day, though I have been told that this can lead to urinary problems with wethers.

Hay has been hard to come by because of the drought conditions here in Northern Neck, VA last summer, and what can be found is now $6.00 per bale. I realize reading your post that a good scythe is the answer. Our acre grass field has been mowed several times a year by our neighbor with a tractor but now we are going to invest in a scythe. I have stopped using the tiller on the garden, the next step is forgoing the tractor. Thanks every one on 'scything'. jerry b

-----

SJC wrote:
I use a scythe as my main green-cutting tool; it's not as much of a sacrifice as it might sound. I no longer have goats, but was easily able to keep 6 goats in hay with the scythe, and since I live in Maine, our hay-feeding 'season' is long....