homestead - Re: [Homestead] A New Addition to the House

  • From: "Jerry W. Shepperd" <shepperd AT austincc.edu>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A New Addition to the House
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 22:03:25 -0600

At 08:46 PM 2/27/2008, Gene GeRue wrote:
Congratulations, Jerry. That has to feel mighty good.

Don and I have a similar-size project planned for this summer. We
would welcome your advice and help. I will teach you what I know about
stone masonry.

Gene, I'm probably better on advice than I am on help, although I sometimes give that, as well.

Although, I have done lots of work with concrete and adobe, about all I know about stone masonry, beyond that I like how it looks, is it is mighty hard work. Adobe is hard work, but it is low skill, and it is hard to do it wrong, as long as you line up the blocks. A string helps in that regard, although I have seen old men in Mexico eye-ball adobe walls and get them about as straight as I can do it with a string. These were men who were older than me, smaller than me, and who could work me into the ground. They never seemed to rush, never seemed to hurry, but managed to get a great deal done.