homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj AT intrex.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Truth About Organic Gardening
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:35:57 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:

This sounds like a good book. I've been of the same thought sometimes,
for instance bringing depleted land "up to speed" rapidly with
chemical fertilizers and then maintaining them organically.

Bob, there are many really good reasons not to do that. You only get short
term gains.
Here's exactly where you can go to find out more very focused information
about this.

Read the following:

Search the sanet-mg mailing list archives for posts (especially recent ones)
by Joel Gruver
and think hard about what he is saying. These archives are open for public
browsing and Google searching.

Read posts by Elaine Ingham, of Soil Foodweb, in sanet-mg and compost-tea mailing lists archives and her company website. She explains clearly why you should never use synthetic chemical fertilizers (they contain such things as
fossil-fuel-derived N [Haber process], P from phosphoric acid and K in the form of muriate of potash or some other similar chemical compound).

It was laughable to read this misleading BS:
"The section on natural versus synthetic fertilizers provided the news to me
that while most of us
believe that synthetic fertilizers contain petrochemicals, “that’s rarely the
case.”"
Noone thinks that such things as triple seventeen has petrochemicals in it; what a hoot and how insulting to the intelligence of American gardeners.

You'll read a good case for sticking to pure natural agriculture methods and materials from these two folks, two among thousands of well informed people.

It's like buying organic apples from Chile. By the time they are
shipped in, they may be better for me, but are they better for the
earth? I think that sometimes we organic farmers/gardeners feel proud
of the good we are doing when in fact organic fertilizers may have
been brought in at more cost to the environment.

What on Earth is that fool trying to say to us? What planet is he on?
The usual game for them is to take both sides in an argument and play the
mediator.
They do not have the guts to take a stand for what really is best for the
Earth and for people.
They are bought-and-paid-for industry whores out to screw you out of your
pocketbook and your health.
That jackass goes from talking about importing organic apples not being good
for the earth then goes
on to say that we import our organic fertilizers. Organic potash comes from
the USA, natural phosphate
the same and nitrogen from the nearest farm to you or you grow legumes. Its
so insulting to hear those
creeps mouth off their lies and propaganda while on the public payroll.

I'm going to take a look at this book, it sounds interesting. Time
that the organic movement took a look at itself and grows.

Its time that the organic movement stick to what it is doing and do it better.