homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mexican food was: Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mexican food was: Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:37:30 -0700

Don Bowen wrote:

At 4/14/2007, Marie wrote:

I keep hoping for one here that does them right. So far I've been
disappointed, but a new restaurant opened and a coworker from New
Mexico who is Hispanic says it's good. I will be checking. So far,
Springfield is doing better with Indian and Thai restaurants.

One problem with living near San Diego is that I have access to many really good Mexican food places. I can think of several but my favorites tend to be the Taco shops. Just a few miles north the number of good places drops, I can only think of two in Temecula and no decent taco shops.

It used to be that there were no San Diego-style taco shops north of Camp Pendleton whatsoever. But now 'Bertos clones are everywhere, at least in Orange County. These places offer carne asada burritos and rolled tacos with lots of real guacamole, all night long, no matter the season. Just the guacamole from a plate of chips would cost $5-10 in a sit-down restaurant. I always thought they must have a connection with the avocado growers, which accounts for the lack of them in LA. What I like most about it is that they made it _their_ way, without regard for whether someone might not like it. Carne asada burritos still come with lots of onions, and they even used to tuck in a little serrano surprise.

LA on the other hand has too many good places, and Cuban, Guatemalan, Thai, Armenian, and so forth. My son lived in Thailand for several years so is a great guide. I guess I need a good hot Curry Chicken.

We've given up on almost all other ethnic food. I have Vietnamese friends, and several Vietnamese cookbooks, so I know that nuoc cham is not grated carrot in sugar water, but a pungent mix of garlic, chiles, lemon, and fish sauce. We knew not even to bother with "Sweetie Thai" just from the name. No doubt it's more of the same hospital food that's calculated not to offend Americans. So if you like your food the real way, with the full quantity of garlic and chiles, it's better to read some cookbooks and do it yourself.

Bill
S. Oregon coast