homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:35:44 -0500

In restaurants here they are always filled with cheese or beef, sometimes battered and fried and sometimes just smothered in queso. To me, the shape and color of the pepper they use looks like a Poblano (very triangular), which I know is also called Ancho when dried--I use those in my beans (instead of beer). It's a dish we like alot, so I'm growing plenty of peppers. Funny--the pepper is going through some seedsmen by the name of its use.

What they sell here in the stores as Relleno peppers though looks to me to be Anaheim (I'm assuming grown in California), and Hatch (New Mexico) which we use for green chili. I feel like I should know the differences better but I never studied agricultural plants in botany. When I buy these dried in New Mexico I prefer Nambe and Chimayo strains for their superb heat.

BTW, I am enjoying learning stuff from "all y'all".

--Sage
way out in Texas

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 06:22:52 -0700 (PDT)