homestead - Re: [Homestead] Seizure in dogs

  • From: sjc <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Seizure in dogs
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 10:35:09 -0400

I had a dog (mixed breed) in which severe and frequent seizures turned out to be caused by dye in a food product, and it didn't take much of it either. She only got a dog biscuit a week, when we were visiting my elderly friend, who loved the dog and kept biscuits there as a treat for her.

After that I was extra vigilant about antyhing she ate, pretty easy in my situation as I mostly can feed right off the place. But when I was traveling or whatever I took all her food along and made sure she got no treats from anyone, etc.

Took 3 vets to get it figured out, but once we made sure she never got anything with dye in it, she never had another seizure. Never knew, nor tried to figure out what dye it might have been, found it easier and likely safer, just to eliminate all.

Sure pointed up one of the potential problems in food additives, for man or beast. I figure it can't hurt to avoid dyes (and a lot of other things, now!), so we do......

Susan Jane, in Maine