homestead - [Homestead] Pequins and Ashes

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pequins and Ashes
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:54:58 -0500

The chili pequin is native here and grows in the dappled shade of my creek. We have forests of them. I think they are a 10 on the Scoville scale. We pickle them and use the vinegar to spice everything, and then use the pequins in salsa. They are also called bird peppers, but I've not seen any local birds eat them, we always have plenty.

I remember when I was a kid someone told me if you put wood ash on any pepper it would make the pepper hotter. As I recall I tried this and the bell peppers were definitely warmer in flavor. Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

Although we don't have much winter we do have enough ash with which to do something. I'm wondering what everyone else does with their ash? I suppose if the soil is lacking it could be used in the garden or compost but we have such great success as it is I have never had the soil tested. Also since we burn some of our junk mail with the wood I wonder about the inks which I've heard can be toxic. I have no idea if the carbonized ink would still be considered so. I also know ash is used in making soap although I haven't attempted that yet. Suggestions?

--Sage
way out in Texas