homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 21:57:29 EDT

> As far as I've seen refried beans are not refried at
> all. The cooked beans are put in a skillet and fried
> but the first cooking was normal boiling (or would you
> say simmering?)

'Re' as a prefix in Spanish or English doesn't necessarily mean 'do it
again'. It often means 'do it completely' such as 'relax' doesn't mean 'lax
for a
second time' but rather 'lax completely'.

So 'refrito' doesn't mean 'fry again' but more like 'fry up'. Compare
another Mexican food, 'chilis rellenos' (refilled chilis). It doesn't mean
the
chilis were filled a second time, but rather filled up. </HTML>