homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethnicity (was Tortillas)
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 10:19:43 -0400

Interesting word study, James.
I'm saving it for my Spanish-English list which includes several
professional translators and interpreters.

The people from Argentina and Spain on the list are really thrown for a
loop by many common words in Mexico. The pre-Tolteca influence still
lingers in Mexico in language as well as facial bone structure.

Recently, several members of the list collaborated in compiling a list of
regional names for various foods. We realized pretty quickly that some
foods grow in some countries and are totally unknown in others. Only
photographs helped to identify various fruits, squashes, and melons,
because they are not in the international dictionaries.
Lynn