homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 09:53:11 -0400

I like JJ. I don't think of him as the master of double digging, and I never took to that method, except for my asparagus bed when I first set it up. It is only a 4x10 foot bed, but that was enough double digging for me. I think of JJ as the master of intensively planted crops. I use the tables in his book all the time. I should, probably, have it memorized by now. I can never seem to grow enough of certain things to last a year, and I like that he basically gives yields for stuff, so I can plan accordingly. I may not get his yield, but it gives me an idea anyway.
As for this mulch thread in general, I use rotting, half composted waste hay that I rake up from around the hayring in the horse pasture. I don't have weed seed issues because first of all, I am careful about whose hay I rake, and secondly, I keep on mulching, layer upon layer, and the heat generated from decomposition generally kills any weed seeds. Other unwanted seed germination is easily pulled because there is very little actual soil.

Bev