homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 07:10:34 -0700

On Apr 2, 2007, at 6:53 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

I like JJ. I don't think of him as the master of double digging, and I
never took to that method, except for my asparagus bed when I first set
it up. It is only a 4x10 foot bed, but that was enough double digging
for me.

IMNSHO, the best way to create a new bed is to dig out the hole, then start with fallen oak branches down in the bottom, using smaller branches as the level rises. Woods trash next, then finally dirt in the top six to eight inches. In most climates it will take many years for all that wood to rot away. Just keep putting mulch on the top.

I keep on mulching, layer upon layer,
and the heat generated from decomposition generally kills any weed
seeds.

Thank you for reminding me of a good weed killer: plastic. New vineyard starters till and smooth the soil, then cover it with plastic. Weed seeds germinate, the weeds start growing, then commit suicide.

Just be sure to get the plastic removed before it gets brittle.