homestead - Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:50:44 -0500

Rob wrote:

You could actually go to the area he lived and look at the papers from around that time. There might be something there that didn't make it on line.

Well, Memphis is about 6 hours from here.... He used to live in Cedar
Hill, Missouri until about 4 months prior to his death, so I have been
checking both Missouri and Tennessee newspapers daily for obituaries.
I've also checked papers in South Carolina, Georgia, North Carolina, and
Alabama, places where he has lived for long periods in his life.
The man was once president of Rudy's Farm, you know, the sausage folks,
and on the board of Sara Lee/Beatrice Foods. I find it really hard to
believe that there is no obituary.

As to the "we can't tell you" stuff do you have any legal papers proving your relationship? With proof in hand that you are family you
might learn some more.

Of course...my birth certificate, adoption records...wedding and family
photos, etc. He gave me away when I married Ron, (He didn't want to,
but ended up agreeing to do it 4 days prior to the wedding) After that
fiasco, when Ron and I renewed our vows years later, my birthfather flew
in from Oregon and proudly gave me away...lol...ironic, huh..it was VERY
meaningful)

Hang in there Bev, life is full of crap but in time the memories of these things pass.

Oh yeah, I know. This dark cloud does have a silver lining. It has put
me back in touch with my sister Cindy, and with my aunt Jo(Sonny's
sister), whom I learned has Alzheimers and is not doing well. I'm going
to Greenville, SC in two weeks to see her. Lynn, I'd LOVE to meet you
when I'm there, but I'll be with other family and I don't think I'll be
able to break away. Anyway, it's bittersweet, considering the state of
mind of both my sister and my aunt, but I feel good about it and I know
it was supposed to happen this way. Surely, you never know what life
will bring. My aunt Jo was like a surrogate mother to me, and I lived
with her for a couple of years while my parents divorced. She was a
positive influence in my life, and Kate is named after her daughter.
She got a brain tumor 20 years ago and her personality changed
afterwards, and she got mad at me 8 years ago because I promised her I
would come see her and then the house sold and we had to move into a
motel for a month. I had no way to call her to tell her I wasn't coming
and she got mad. For years, I tried to call and apologize, but she
wouldn't answer the phone. To inform her of Sonny's death, I had to go
through a neighbor(thank you google maps), and that was how I found out
about her health. I started crying on the phone because I finally was
able to talk to her. She did not remember ever being mad at me, was
childlike, pleasant, and begged me to come and see her. I won't let her
down this time.
So anyway, there is good to come of Sonny's death, not only because he
is no longer suffering, but because I have a second chance with some
other family.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky