homestead - Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)

  • From: sjc <indexer AT localnet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:37:28 -0500

At 12:28 AM 11/17/2006, Bev wrote:

I've been watching the online papers for public
legal notices and obituaries, but a call would probably be more
efficient.

Something I found out when I moved here: Obits must be paid for here, and by the column inch, no less. Often folks decide against the expense and no obit appears or one appears in only one of our 5 weeklies, or whatever. Especially in a family with fractious tendencies it is very likely here that one would have no obit at all, or maybe one put into a church bulletin---also something they do here that was new to me---instead of the newspaper/s. IOW, chasing the obit may be futile.

Susan Jane, in Maine