homestead - Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Just stiff (seriously OT, but I need to vent)
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:28:57 -0500

Lynda wrote:
Call the county and ask them if a death certificate has been filed.

I went to the county website and was sadly disappointed in their directory and information about county services like vital statistics. For a major city, it was pathetic.

Also
ask if a will has been filed for probate. If a will has been filed for probate, ask for the attorney handling it.

Who do I call for this?? which court?

Usually attorneys are a bit more
willing to give out generic information such as where an obit may have appeared AND will give you the info as to whether you are in the will if that is what the family is hoping to hide.

Perhaps he will at least put me in touch with Tammy.

Thanks for the advice. I've been watching the online papers for public legal notices and obituaries, but a call would probably be more efficient. Is there a time period after one's death for a will to be opened and read, like within 30 days or something?

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky