homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:38:55 -0600

On 11/12/06, Rob <becida AT comcast.net> wrote:

These people do show up, they do get jobs, they do pay what taxes
they have to and they do send money home. Be a lot easier to control
the situation by dealing with the reality rather than make everyone
stop and show their papers.

It may have been a while since you last went to work for an employer,
but right now employers are supposed to have proof that the person
they're hiring is a citizen. The complaint employers make is that they
have to go by the documents that are presented to them, which may be
forged.

Of course this "deal with it as it is" rational hasn't made any
headway in the recreational drug 'war' in the last 30 plus years.

I dunno. This problem seems much more amenable to a straightforward
solution if the will is there to enforce hiring laws. Yes, I know
there's all the off-the-book stuff, but so far not much effort has
been made to prosecute employers.

Marie