homestead - Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 16:59:08 -0500

Don Bowen wrote:
Making sure we out pollute China is not necessarily the right way to
approach the problem. Their population of 1.2 billion is a problem
waiting in the wings as they want to catch up with us.

Oh I know and I agree, just making a point.

A couple of data items from today. Ford motor company announced that
it was ahead of schedule to trim employees by 75,000. Toyota
announced it was ahead of schedule to build three new plants by 2009
in order to increase production by 450,000 units a year for the
burgeoning China and India markets. China's 1.2 billion and India's
900 million population all want the same TVs, refrigerators, and cars
they see the west as having.

Yeah, China and India are mushrooming demand markets.
If we approached manufacturing today the way we did in the 1940's,
1950's and 1960's, we could keep up, I think. It just won't happen,
though, for a variety of reasons. Labor costs, trade agreements,
politics, etc.

Bev
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky