homestead - Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:23:54 -0800

At 11/13/2006, you wrote:
I have never doubted that energy users would increasingly have to
make do without inexpensive oil. I do read about new discoveries and
new sources, most notably under the ocean.

One of the points of the book is energy return on energy investment. In the 1940s the typical return on a barrel of oil used to explore, drill, extract, process and deliver was over 100 barrels. By the 70s it was 23 barrels for existing fields and around 8 for new discoveries. Compare the oil fields of Texas to the North Sea. This ratio is only getting worse with what are called non traditional sources such as tar sands. For some sources such as undersea methane hydrides it is closer to 5.

Heinberg quotes from Joseph Tainter's 1988 book "The Collapse of Complex Societies". Tainter shows that as societies become more complex the required solutions to problems become more complex and expensive. There comes a time of diminishing returns when the increased complexity is no longer worth it. Romans may have opened the gates because the Visigoths may have appeared better than the Roman government.

I continue to believe that
the primary issue is not supply, but price.

The primary issue is supply which in turn has a direct affect on price. We will never run out of oil. When the pumps can no longer pull oil to the surface, there will be about as much left in the ground as we have pumped but that remainder will be too expensive to extract. What good will it do when the oil return on investment is 1:1? Are we ready for a time when nuclear power plants are set up to provide power to extract oil?

Both sun and Earth's core
have essentially unlimited heat.

Oil is nothing more than solar energy collected over millions of years. The earth's core has heat but what will be the cost in finances and complexity to extract it. At what point is it no longer worth the effort?

As prices become more painful, more
attention will be paid to alternative forms of energy. We will all
adjust according to our needs and our purchasing power.

We will adjust. As pointed out by Jared Diamond, the elites will be the last to have heated houses but is that what we want? Do we want 70% of our cropland to be turned over to energy production? He points out some painful choices.

The first is do nothing, the Last man standing approach. Lets continue to fight wars over energy and let the biggest check book continue to live a life of energy luxury until we hit the Malthius point where everyone goes without.

Next is to wait for a magic elixir. Some magic combination of technology that will let up all live like we are using personal vehicles to run to the 7-11 for a six pack. There are none except for a lucky few, again those who can afford it. Each option has cost and complexity issues.

His next is a power down scenario. Starting now we must cut our energy usage. Build smaller more energy efficient homes with lower embedded energy materials. Stop pouring fuel into ever larger automobiles. Stop importing energy intensive foods grown by an energy intensive industrial farming system. This will do little more than buy us time to work out systems and come to grips with the end of oil.

His fourth is to build life boats. During medieval times much of western knowledge was preserved in monasteries. Avoiding the oppressiveness of religions he suggests that small enclaves of knowledge be kept for a post carbon world. Knowledge of growing things, open pollinated seeds, tool use and manufacture, just the things we talk about on these lists but is a somewhat grander scale.

He points out rightly that the world's population is a problem. The current level of 6.5 billion is totally unsustainable. Some projections have us at closer to 9 billion in 50 years. He says that a post carbon earth will have problems supporting 1 billion and that over the next 100 years we need to be acting to reduce population.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.