homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:50:58 EST

> I don't expect the second coming, but I'm hopeful that the new crop of
> populist representatives who will be going to Congress will make a
> difference.

I think most of the changes you outlined will take place. But how will that
change the overall direction of our consumerist country?

Remember that the out-going crop of legislators were the newly elected
populist representatives at one time. The time between populist and
entrenched
politician is depressingly short.

Each of those changes brings with it other unintended changes. The price of
drugs will come down, no mistake, which means people will be taking all the
more of the damned things. Minimum wage will go up, which means it's all the
more attractive to hire illegal aliens. Etc.

There will be changes. But for the most part they will be a distinction
without a difference.