homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:10:54 -0800

At 11/12/2006 02:32 PM,VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:
I think it would be good if there were a viable third
party. One large enough that no one party could have
a majority by itself. It seems that a necessary part
of effective politics is compromise, with more than
two parties I think this would happen more and that
moderate positions would be stronger.
Van Dell

Here in WA state we passed (a couple of years ago) an initiative that put the two top vote getters of a primary onto the general ballot. The court tossed it out as it violated the (two major) "parties" rights. The two party system has too much to lose to allow anyone else in (if they can help it).

I will always remember the night Ventura won the Minnesota Governorship. The look of shock on
the professional politicians faces as they left a room and were confronted by the media.
That term the Dems controlled one house, the Repubs another and the Governor was an independent. It had to be worthwhile for the two parties to agree to override the veto, or they both had to make some serious money. They bypassed the veto a lot that term.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA