homestead - Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] oil was:Political
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 14:13:18 -0500

Actually, Gene, there is a relationship between price and energy, but
not just what you think....they have to keep the price high so that they
can afford to develop new, ultra-deep rigs and still line their pockets. :)
http://www.peak-oil-news.info/deep-oil-drilling/

I've always questioned the concept of Peak Oil, even though I know that
there are finite resources, I think technology will morph what we can do
to meet the needs. There's plenty of sand and shale oil, but the
technology to access it is more expensive and therefore those resources
won't be developed until they have to be. The concept of peak oil
should really be labeled " peak easy oil". Yeah, we've exhausted close
to all of the easy, surface or shallow oil pockets, but there are plenty
of hydrocarbons on the planet for us to harvest, if technology can find
a way. Look at the abundance of methane hydrates on the continental
shelves around the world; it's practically an untapped resource for
natural gas. (I know this isn't petroleum, but who knows what lies
deeper under the gas pocket-it's possible that petroleum has
migrated/sunk deeper into the 'ultra deep' regions.
I hate discussions like this because many in the public eye, especially
politicians, take theory for fact, and then that theory becomes so widely
discussed and accepted that new discoveries or controversial ideas get
buried. It's the same whether we are talking about planetary formation,
plate tectonics, global warming, or the concept/theory of peak oil.
It's all a house of cards, really, with one theory being based on
another.... It comes down to personal beliefs and how much of a leap of
faith you want to take to believe some of these "facts".

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:

I have never doubted that energy users would increasingly have to make do without inexpensive oil. I do read about new discoveries and new sources, most notably under the ocean. I continue to believe that
the primary issue is not supply, but price. Both sun and Earth's core
have essentially unlimited heat. As prices become more painful, more
attention will be paid to alternative forms of energy. We will all
adjust according to our needs and our purchasing power.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky