homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political question, if I may
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 12:47:45 EST

> Until this administration I felt it did not much matter who sat in
> the Oval Office. The political happenings of the last six years have
> caused me to understand I was wrong. The coming to power of this
> president and the way he has been used is hugely instructive.

While I understand this sentiment, I wonder to what extent this
administration, or ANY administration determines the course of the country
rather than
reflects it. We made an abrupt change in the makeup of government this time,
but
was it because government had changed or because we had changed?

The war in Iraq kept the looming oil and financial crisis at bay for a few
more years, but the scheme is unravelling fast now.

Saying, says I, that in the past it didn't matter so much who was in office
is simply another way of saying that in the past the insane lifestyle choices
we (collectively) embraced didn't matter so much. Now they do. The junkyard
dog we've had in office has served our true ends well enough. He can't now.
Yet it doesn't follow that if there had been someone else in office, it would
have been materially different.

A new tack now, says I, but still sailing through the same debris as before.