homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:55:16 -0500

I know the solid top ranges are supposed to overcome some of those
objections, but those suckers are expensive and we're a rather rough lot in the kitchen with our iron cookware.

The Phoenix house has an electric solid-glass cooktop. After using it for two years I still can't handle it. It takes time to heat up and then it keeps heating after you have turned it down or off. A terrible waste of energy that makes cooking onerous.

As the house does have a natural gas water heater I did some checking. Pulled out the electric range and, wow, there is a gas pipe in the wall. This next winter a gas stove will be installed.

Here at Heartwood we are now cooking on a "new" old range, a 1950s Wedgewood. Love it. The burners are way better than modern burners, except those super expensive Wolfs and the like. The pilot lights don't work perfectly. I will soon turn off all pilots save the oven for the summer and use a welding sparker to light the top burners.