homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: WILLIAM <billymegab AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 10:16:24 -0700 (PDT)

At the momet I'm just thinking of putting up a 45 gal drum painted black
over the shower that I can fill with the hose and having it gravity fed to a
shower head mounted on a post. That should work for 6 months of the year!

Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote: At 6/21/2006, you wrote:

>Gotta agree with that.. Turned off my electric hot water heater and found
>my electric bill plummeted. Heat what I need now with Propane.

Heating is the absolute worst use of electricity.

> Want to get a solar hot water system but it's still too pricy! will
> have to rig up an outdoor shower that is solar powered for the summer
> months!

You could rig up a quick and dirty system with black plastic pipe plumbed
into the inlet of your hot water heater. Add some valves for draining and
a thermo syphon tank or relief valve.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal
http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/billymegab%40yahoo.com

Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football ’06 - Go with the leader. Start your league
today!