homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:56:12 -0700

Electricity, at least in our case is hyro-powered, locally owned and controlled and produces jobs locally. All around good use of a natural resource.

I'll have to ask my dad about the overall efficiency of the other forms of electric power. He has most of those figures because he worked on a lot of the hydro-powered plants out here and has done some of the research work when they tried to set up a couple of coal-powered plants out here. Although why in the world anyone would want to haul coal a thousand or so miles and call it efficient is beyond me! At anyrate it didn't happen.

We had all those studies done on trucking vs. train a couple of years back. The train wins hands down. However, the trucking lobby is more powerful. Sad but true!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I was wondering about the efficiency aspect of it. Our neighbor the truck
driver protested that although fuel prices might triple, still, says he, trucks
are more efficient than trains. I dug a bit. In order to pull (level grade)
100 loaded boxcars, it takes four engines the size of his truck engine.
Doesn't sound like trucks are more efficient to me! When I quizzed him, he said he
meant they were more efficient in that you got your load to its destination
more quickly, two days instead of three.