homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 08:23:28 -0500

I recall a Tvo post on making an icehouse and harvesting ice. Since it
did not apply to me here in Georgia, I did not save it, but perhaps an
archive search would pull it up. I just remember something about
insulating with sawdust.

He and I grew up in Wisconsin where, before modern refrigeration, iceboxes were widely used. When I was in high school I worked at a resort where one of my duties was delivering ice to the cabins. The ice was sawed from the lake, about a foot thick, and stored in the ice house with lots of sawdust for insulation. I used an axe and a big pick to break pieces loose where they froze together in spite of the sawdust, then delivered the chunks and put them in the iceboxes. This would be about 1953.