homestead - Re: [Homestead] Organic and us

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Organic and us
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 21:30:03 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I suppose someone could make a go of selling compost. Probably most people interested in the compost, though, are already doing the same.
I don't think I myself could abide it.

My goat mentor sold llama poop. She would shovel it into feed bags
straight from the field and sell it for $6, IIRC, a bag, marketed as
organic fertilizer. It sold like hot cakes. I'd bet llama poop would be
a better enterprise than the fiber sales.
I'm like you, compost to me is like gold. I scrounge old hay and brush
from my neighbors just to have piles laying around. I often plant
things in the compost piles. I turned my 'kitchen' pile today and wet
it down because I added sawdust from the shopvac and that dried
everything out. Well, we are rain starved here, so everything is dried
out, with or without sawdust to absorb the last drop of moisture.

Bev
--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W