homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:01:57 -0500

At 6/22/2006, you wrote:
I was wondering about the efficiency aspect of it. Our neighbor the truck
driver protested that although fuel prices might triple, still, says he, trucks
are more efficient than trains. I dug a bit. In order to pull (level grade)
100 loaded boxcars, it takes four engines the size of his truck engine.
Doesn't sound like trucks are more efficient to me! When I quizzed him, he said he
meant they were more efficient in that you got your load to its destination
more quickly, two days instead of three.

Rail travel is more fuel and resource efficient than highway transport. Steel wheels on steel rail is one factor. Trucks beat out rails in local deliveries and places where the rails no longer go.

Surprisingly busses rate low in passenger mile efficiency, mostly because so many run empty in order to keep a convenient schedule.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal