homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 20:30:48 -0700

We have brand new appliances and they had their yearly tune-up by the local propane guy a couple of weeks ago. While a blue flame is a hotter flame, it is still not a totally clean flame. Propane flames emit carbon oxides and hydrocarbons. You can create less ash/particles but you can't eliminate them.

Of course, we are at 3,000' which also has an effect on how efficient these gas appliances are.

Oh, and looking at the various sites, the operative words are "[insert power of choice] uses --% of the energy produced." 90% for induction, 55% for gas, 65% for electric. However, my gas appliance guy says that the 55% is for stoves such as Gene has (1950s and earlier) and the new "millionaire" stoves such as Wolf's.

Now, something I found interesting while wandering around Google on this subject, anyone know there is a hybrid solar/electric oven? As the kidlets would say, "Way cool!" http://eartheasy.com/solar_oven.htm

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Warren F. Smith" <WarrenSmith AT PalmettoBuilders.net>

Of course it is vented- the excess heat is vented to the room. I'm
curious as to what gas stove the clan has that requires power to work.
Anyway, my point here is that if someone has a problem with a gas range
being "dirty", I think they need to tweak the burner carburetors. If
adjusted properly to a blue flame it's a damned clean and efficient way
to heat food.

Warren