homestead - Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Propane versus electric
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:57:26 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the opportunity to repost my dream of a
> walk-in
> refrigerator, a super-insulated closet with small
> doors opening to a
> kitchen counter from whence items are extracted
> without opening a
> large door and letting all that coolth spill out.
> One day I will find
> a refrigeration expert who I can convince to build
> the cooling equipment.

My dad dreamed of a walk in cooler so that we didn't
have to butcher on days when the temp was below
freezing.
Gene, I share your dream, thinking it might even be
practical if selling meat becomes part of the farm
operations.
I haven't investigated the cost partly because I'm
very sure that it will be too expensive. Might as
well keep the dream alive for a while...LOL.

Bye the way, has anyone harvested or considered
considered harvesting natural ice?
My greatgrandfater had an ice house near a pond. My
brother still has the homemade icebox.

Van Dell