homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do?

  • From: abitcrazy <abitcrazy AT cox.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do?
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 14:20:27 -0700

Gene,

I will agree with just about everything y ou say - sadly...

And I do try to send a message with my purchases (or non-purchases, as is my case, I never sshop at wal-mart) ... the suckie thing is, you almost cannot NOT buy products...since these companies are now such large conglomerates that it is damned near impossible to purchase products that you believe in, particularly if you do not have an unlimited BUDGET to purchase the costly home-grown, small-manufacturer or local producer. It sucks, it really sucks. Now, for me, personally, I never, ever buy NEW when I can get the item USED at the local thrift stores. Now, I admit; I live in Phoenix, where the population is a very fluid group - people move here and move away, there is lots of really, really great items and clothing and household goods in the shops, some of which are as large as a K-Mart. I come from the small-town MIDWEST, where there is more stability and frugality, and I did notice that there is far fewer great items in their thrift shops.
Nevertheless, I take great pleasure in buying really top-of-the-line clothing from our local Mormon Church thrift store, knowing that I am not putting profits into the companies who are purchasing products made from slave labor in foreign countries. I am not supporting those businesses. And I will never, ever WEAR a NIKE shoe.

just some thoughts. this has been GREAT discussions. And I am trying to verify where RUSH isn't making money, either, but is quietly supported by the Republican party. And besides, how many CHRISTIAN radio programs are money makers? oh, that's right. sorry, i forget -- they ARE big money makers, as they sell their "prayer cloths" and cry for money every program...
When are we going to realize in this country, that as a nation, we need to shed our belief that capitalism is good. We need to focus more on the common welfare, for our future. Otherwise, power simply grabs for itself, and leaves everyone else starving.

power to the people!

arlene

I hope this isn't true. Can we verify? Levi's is one of the jeans
companies that are BLUE, and support the democratic party rather than
the red/nazi/neo-cons

Do not be misled by party slogans and historical tendencies. Do not knee-jerk to sophisticated media mongers. The modern politician uses whichever party he feels gives him the best chance to do what he wants and his first priority is getting elected and then reelected. While there are some seniors like Ted Kennedy and John McCain who are fairly dependable in reflecting their parties' historical philosophies, most are pretty swishy and do whatever they need to do to remain in office.

In spite of incredible differences in perception of "truth" from the same set of facts, most members of the DC Whorehouse lean toward the middle unless their prevailing constituencies are near the fringes. An example of today's political undependability is Bush, who came to power posing as a conservative but whose fiscal behavior is far from traditional Republican.

Unless the incumbent is truly outstanding in your view, always vote against the incumbent and for the newcomer. The only way to get a politician's attention is to have them believe their reelection is in question. At that point they will dependably say whatever their polls say you want to hear.

Your strongest vote is at the cash register at the end of the checkout counter. Large companies control politicians. Consumers can control companies by buying or not buying their products.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/abitcrazy%40cox.net

{\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252\deff0\deflang1033{\fonttbl{\f0\fswiss\fcharset0
Arial;}}
\viewkind4\uc1\pard\f0\fs20 NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email without warning, warrant,
or notice, and certainly without probable cause. They may do this without any
judicial or legislative oversight. You have no recourse nor protection save
to call for the impeachment of the current President.\par
}