homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do?
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:47:51 -0500

<<
I am not in favor of a national healthcare system simply because I don't
like Uncle Sam to say what I can and cannot do in regards to my medical
choices.>>

Right now, if you have health insurance, you have a file clerk rationing
your medical care. (What, you thought it was a medical professional?) Me,
I'd rather deal with the government. Medicare is a government program, and
while it doesn't pay enough, it has low overhead, and it pays a
pre-determined amount for services that are on the list. And you know
upfront what's on the list.

The insane hybrid that is the Medicare drug program is another kettle of
fish altogether and will likely either fold or be re-done in a couple of
years. This is because old people vote.

<< My concern is that once the government is footing our
heathcare costs, we must eat, drink, and use only meds that they think
is good for us.>>

Don't worry about that. The food industry won't let it happen. Can you
imagine how much clout McDonald's has? Private health plans would have a
better chance at banning Big Macs than the government would.

I don't know about your state, but here in Illinois local government has
about banned all smoking unless you are willing to stand in the street.

<<Not to mention the whole "mental health screening" stuff that was
implemented a few years ago. It would be scary to allow a fed doctor to
determine my sanity, since I often do not toe the party line.>>

Not to worry. Right now, you can be completely and totally insane and unless
you are a clear and present danger to yourself or others, our laws -- that
would be the government, right? -- protect your right to be as nutty as you
want. How do I know? I have a sister who is manic-depressive. All the rest
of the family can do is stand by and pray, regardless of just how completely
wild her manic swings take her.

This is not to say that you might not be hustled off to prison as a
terrorist for your views under the Patriot Act, but that's another story.

<< In
history the rebellious were stamped crazy over and over again. If they
knew that I was then "harmful to society" doesn't it stand to reason
that they could mandate that I take my medication or be institutionalized?>>

Families of persons diagnosed as schizophrenics and manic-depressives can
only wish. And most of these people are already on Medicaid, so the
government is paying for their medical care.

Marie