homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do?
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 12:14:34 EDT

What can we do??

One hears quite often that we can make a difference at the ballot box, but I
would opine that this is no longer true.

The rallies, protests, 'getting the information out', and all such are
useless.

What is driving world affairs is our (collective) lifestyle. We would not be
in the Iraq war were there not a demand to enforce our control of the world
oil market to keep the McMansions heated and cooled and to buy the gas to
commute 60 miles from them to useless make-work jobs in climate controled
offices.

For everyone persuaded to tune into Air America (which now has to PAY
stations to run its programming) there are five people recommending that folk
tune in
Limbaugh and Boortz. I'm not endorsing one over the other, only staying they
are equally as usleless in changing the status of things.

It doesn't matter who you put into congress or the White House; it doesn't
matter who is CEO of what and how much they are paid. So long as the people
think that success is the number of cubic inches in the engine and the square
teet of the McMansion, we will do what it takes to secure the fuels for this
lifestyle.

ONLY a drastic reduction in consumption is going to make a difference. And
make no mistake, that reduction is coming either voluntarily or by dire
necessity.

My money is on the latter.