homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do?
  • Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 13:28:52 EDT

> I have a question. Who do you think PAYS for radio in any station?

For viable commercial radio it's the sponsors. For Air America it's donors.
And even at that it's financially failing. There are enough people who think
that if only, if only the message were gotten out, people would wake from
their conservative stupor and the world would be a better place. They are
presently contributing enough money to Air America so that it can PAY
stations to
carry its programming.

Local radio stations pay to carry Limbaugh, Boortz, O'Reilly and the like.
The owners of those programs make a profit on selling the selling the
programming.

Air America, by contrast, pays stations to carry its programming. They lease
the air time the same as political candidates, televangelistsm and
advertisers.

The lesson here isn't that the message isn't getting out, it's that no one is
interested. Sure, there may be a few who don't know the gist of the
liberal line of thinking, but not so many. Most people know what the
liberals are
saying, they just don't believe it. And they certainly aren't willing to
support the sponsors to bring it to them.

I know the hugger-mugger, cloak and dagger bit that gets repeated is that the
Republicans contribute money to keep conservative radio on the air, but,
alas, it isn't true. All those are commercial enterprises and are entirely
supported by advertisers. I wonder how many people recall that Limbaugh was
*liberal* commentator until he figured out there was no money in it.