homestead - Re: [Homestead] what can we do?

  • From: Melody Oliphant <melody AT feedngrow.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] what can we do?
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:14:24 -0600

Gene GeRue wrote:

When are we going to realize in this country, that as a nation, we need
to shed our belief that capitalism is good.

I hope never. Capitalism, for all its evil people, is what has made our country so strong.

As long as their is no "welfare" given to corporations and there aren't too many hoops to jump through for businesses there will be true free enterprise. Only through corporate welfare can there be monopolies.
We need to focus more on the common welfare, for our future.

Issues of common welfare become accepted when it is recognized that their results strengthen our systems. I am in favor of a national health care system because a healthy populace is a more productive society. Much potential production is lost due to sickness or weakness. I also believe crime is related to non-productivity.

I am not in favor of a national healthcare system simply because I don't like Uncle Sam to say what I can and cannot do in regards to my medical choices. My concern is that once the government is footing our heathcare costs, we must eat, drink, and use only meds that they think is good for us. We then become more like property than individuals, having less say-so over our conditions that we ever have before. At least as it is, if we don't like what one physician says we can look to another to confirm or disclaim the first's answers. If we are in some national medical database, and I assume we are more that I think, tied together by computers, the second physician will know exactly what our first answer was and, in saving time, give the same one.

Not to mention the whole "mental health screening" stuff that was implemented a few years ago. It would be scary to allow a fed doctor to determine my sanity, since I often do not toe the party line. In history the rebellious were stamped crazy over and over again. If they knew that I was then "harmful to society" doesn't it stand to reason that they could mandate that I take my medication or be institutionalized?

It seems that it would open up the problem of how many children I can have, if I can smoke, drink, etc. etc. etc.

I don't like what they do with my taxes, I sure wouldn't like what they do to my healthcare.

Yes I am extrapolating on what may happen in time, but every government program throughout history seemed like such a good thing in the beginning, only to run amuck years later.

Best wishes,
Melody