homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 19:05:13 -0600

I wrote among other things:
<<Soldiers on the ground know what's going on around them, but -- like the
rest of us -- may not have access to the bigger picture and salient
facts.>>

And Mr. Sanner responded:

<<This has nothing to do with your bigger picture and everything to do with

the soldier on the ground. Which salient facts of yours will stop
bullets?????
This is a discussion about body armor and that is all it should be about,
unless you are putting your politics ahead of their safety. >>

Right now I don't have any politics on the subject of body armor. I've heard
some soldiers say that they don't want it because it's too heavy and makes
them less save because they can't move fast enough or agilely enough.

Two types of body armor seem to be in play: one made by a private company
that is not allowed and one made by a private company that is now, many
months after the war began, mandatory. I don't know which one is better. I
am sure not an expert on body armor.

Things being what they are, it's likely that the Army has a big picture and
reporters too have at least a bigger picture than troops on the ground. This
is not to say that soldiers in combat aren't going to have relevant
opinions, but they just might not know which is the better armor.

It's a sad commentary on polarization that I get accused of letting my
political beliefs get in the way of better body armor for the troops. That
was not where I was coming from at all.

Marie