homestead - Re: [Homestead] A point of view

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A point of view
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:26:35 -0600

I don't believe that military service necessarily makes a person better
suited to serve his or her country . . . .

I think it often does. In addition to a self-image of patriot, a person who has been in combat has a keener perception of the awfulness of war. Such a person might be less willing to start wars, especially unnecessary wars. Wars are obscenely inhuman, terribly expensive, and always cause additional problems, the Hatfield-McCoy syndrome of self-perpetuating hatred, and unintended consequences. Wars degrade humanity and cause us to have a base view of ourselves. That is appropriate.