homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:23:20 -0500

<<Suppose you could call, write, etc. and get us out of Iraq tomorrow, sign
onto the Kyoto Treaty, and and and all other concessions from Bush. How
would life be any different? The world will still be short on petroleum,
and if we are past peak oil, it isn't going to change that a bit. The
ticking time bomb of stock-pension-SS-investments(including real estate) has
still to be dealt with. >>

Getting us out of Iraq tomorrow would bring back our national guard so they
could be here to deal with the problems that are caused by global warming.
It would also stop the hemorrhage of money we don't have.

Most scientists accept that global warming is occurring, and --
interestingly -- so do most insurance companies. This administration has its
own reality, and global warming doesn't make an appearance there. If burning
of fossil fuels has caused global warming, we're probably too far along to
stop it, but we're still going to have to deal with it. This administration
doesn't believe in it, so they aren't even thinking about what to do about
it.

As you say, we've passed peak oil. The transition would be a whole lot less
gruesome if we started to adjust now rather than when gasoline cost $10 a
gallon, but they pretend that we can just keep drilling.

This is not to say that the morons in the other party would do better, but
this administration is so far from reality that I wonder what all drugs they
took in their salad days. Must have been powerful stuff.

Marie