homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 23:49:36 EDT

> Please tell me
> what to do, what to say, say it or write and to whom. Educate me as to what
> solid things you are doing to improve the situation

First, I'd ask this: to anyone, actually. What has the federal government
done under Bush that has *directly* affected your life? Let me lay aside
the
for the moment such things as Bush started hurricane Katrina, or that global
warming (even if it were true) has really changed the environment under Bush
and because of Bush. Further let me limit that to things that weren't
already
in play and in the works under previous presidents. For example an good case
could be made that NAFTA and GAT and such have had a direct and significant
impact, but Bush W didn't bring those about single handedly.

Are you paying a lot more in taxes, under more suppressive laws, unable to
obtain work, food, housing more now than before Bush?

If there's not a significant answer to my question, then I submit, as Cassius
did to Brutus, "Our fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves that we are
underlings ..."

Bush is stumbling, I don't think he has a brilliant hidden master plan, and I
wouldn't be a bit surprised to see his presidency crumble. But in the 'work
of the world' lives we live, what difference is that going to make?

Exciting social and economic times are ahead, but only for those with an ear
to the ground and an eye on the horizon. In that context, Bush is just a
distraction, being swept along on the times same as us.

Suppose you could call, write, etc. and get us out of Iraq tomorrow, sign
onto the Kyoto Treaty, and and and all other concessions from Bush. How
would
life be any different? The world will still be short on petroleum, and if
we
are past peak oil, it isn't going to change that a bit. The ticking time
bomb
of stock-pension-SS-investments(including real estate) has still to be dealt
with.

What all that means is my suggestion is at least this: forget about Bush.
I'm convinced more and more each day that he truly is Zephod Beeblebrox.
With
the Bush addiction (through some twelve step program) suppressed, no mention
of Bush, what do you have to say then? Plenty, I'd hope.

There isn't anyone you can write to, call, email that is going to make much
difference in the REAL problems we are facing. Oh, it might get Bush to quit
saying "God told me..." or some such drivvel, but it won't do any real,
material
good. Instead, any instance of not feeding the beast that would devour us
DOES do some good. And being an example of a sane, peaceful life outside of
the
bruhaha is far more valuable than yet another call or fax saying "Hurray for
our side."

" But leave the Wise to wrangle, and with me
The Quarrel of the Universe let be
And, in some corner of the Hubbub coucht,
Make Game of that which makes as much of Thee."
(from the Rybbaiyat)