homestead - Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Would that be the direct line marked gold?
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 23:38:46 EDT

> >Most scientists accept that global warming is occurring, and --
> interestingly -- so do most insurance companies. This administration has its
> own reality, and global warming doesn't make an appearance there. If burning
> of fossil fuels has caused global warming, we're probably too far along to
> stop it, but we're still going to have to deal with it. This administration
> doesn't believe in it, so they aren't even thinking about what to do about
> it.

Yes, most scientists accept that global warming is taking place. The
quesiton is whether it is man made or it is a natural cycle of things. On
that there
is no agreement. A lot of scientists say that the notion that it is man made
is absurd, A few say it is irrefutable. Most are somewhere in between to
the general tune of 'nobody knows'.

The most interesting, and likely to my mind, notion of how we have
contributed to global warming has little or nothing to do with fossil fuels,
but rather
that throught the dependence on inorganic salts as fertilizers we have eroded
away the organic soils that used to hold a great deal of carbon. That carbon
is now in the form of atmospheric carbon dioxide. If this is true, then the
Kyoto Treaty would do nothing to slow the effect.